November 13, 2011 / Aware of the Void

Striped Horse

Striped Horse by okmqaz42

The natural history museum of Ireland has changed very little over the last century and this was very evident to me when I visited it recently. It was exactly as I remembered it from my last visit more than twenty years ago as part of a school tour. It is a fantastic old building, part of the government buildings complex at Lenister house . According to the information leaflet there are two million scientific specimens in the museum and judging by how packed in everything is I would believe that everyone of them is on display.

I spent a wonderful hour wandering through hallways and corridors of giant stuffed animals, I searched for the famous Celtic tiger but from my visit to this great spot I am certain that the celtic tiger never featured at the natural history museum. It is a under appreciated gem in the heart of the city well worth a visit.

Camera:Nikon F100
Film: Fujifilm Neopan 1600
Lens: Sigma 10-20mm F3.5 EX DC HSM
Dev: HC110 (B) 7.5 min 20c

1. marinachetner / Nov 13 2011 2:05 pm

Wow – that’s a cool angle!

2. Hershey / Nov 15 2011 4:45 am

That’s cool, my favorite Museum in NY is the Museum of Natural History. I have been there numerous times since I was a child, and I still love it to this day.

• Aware of the Void / Nov 15 2011 1:59 pm

Gald you liked it. The museum is a bit of a hidden treasure. I am planning on making a return trip very soon.

3. Esther Moliné / Nov 16 2011 12:46 pm

love this shot so much Brendan, that wide angle lens is so great, now, where’s my Santa list…?

4. Hi, Thanks for liking my Medium Format post. I love your blog. You’ve also given me my next film to test (Fujifilm Neopan 1600). The project is more likely to be shot indoors and so far the Ilford films I’ve tested aren’t quite delivering the result i would like.

May I ask, is photography full time profession?

• Aware of the Void / Nov 18 2011 10:47 am

Wow! I think we just cross posted. I made a comment on your most recent post and made some suggestion about pushing some 400 film to help shoot without flash. I tried to post a pic to illustrate what I was rambling about but I think I did it wrong.

This was the photo.
      Mick

Is Photography my full time profession? I am still laughing at that. I would be best described as an over enthusiastic amateur.

5. Photobooth Journal / Dec 12 2011 12:32 am

I loved this museum. Visited it in 2009. It is like walking back in time.

1. After “A Banquet – Piece” by Willem Claesz Heda « Aware of the Void