November 26, 2011 / Aware of the Void

Sappho

Sappho by okmqaz42

One of two things has happened here.

Option 1: A local graffiti artists familiar with the life and works of the ancient Greek poet Sappho has tagged the neoclassical folly in St Anne’s Park as some sort of modern homage to try and revive the poetry that many have studied and few have understood. There is an additional hint here, the “777” may refer to the year of Sappho’s death, as the dates are disputed by scholars.

Option 2: There is a local graffiti artists that goes by the moniker Sapphire. In keeping with the local traditions of north Dublin they have shortened their name by removing most of the letters and then sticking an “o” on the end. For example my name is Brendan, this can easily be translated into the local language by removing the “dan” and substituting an “o”. My name becomes Bren-o, Sapphire become “Sappho”. You can try this at home with your friends and Family.

I would really like to think that it is Option 1……

Camera:Nikon F100
Lens: Nikon AF 50mm f/1.8 D
Film: Agfa_Vista_200
Dev: C-41

Palladio

Camera:Nikon F100
Film: Fujifilm Neopan 1600
Lens: Nikon 50mm f/1.8 D
Dev: HC-110 (G) 1hr 15min @ 20c

1. wolke205 / Nov 26 2011 12:28 pm

The last picture is breathetaking! Wonderful! Thanks for sharing the information with us, I ve never heard about them before.

2. David A Lockwood / Nov 27 2011 7:16 pm

I really like the B & W image – not tried ‘stand development’ but looking at the way you have kept things from blocking up here while using Neopan 1600 – excellent.

David.

• Aware of the Void / Dec 4 2011 9:52 pm

Hi David, I am glad you like it, it is a nice compliment coming from you. I had not had much luck with neopan 1600 before I tried this “recipe” I liked the result here and I am planning on trying this shot again, I think the composition is a bit off.

I use stand development about 90% of the time. I find it suits my temperament and the un-rushed timings allow me to do other things while I develop. The dogs walk would be a current favorite!

3. Photobooth Journal / Dec 8 2011 9:51 am

Stuff the photos your writing is brilliant!

• Aware of the Void / Dec 9 2011 9:07 am

That is a very double edged compliment! without the photos there would be no writing….I think without the words I would still take the photos. I have been enjoying your Journal.

4. christian harkness / Dec 12 2011 10:53 pm

Now this one would make a fantastic Cyanotype print!!!

1. Weekly Photo Challenge: Forward | Blatherskite