December 1, 2011 / Aware of the Void

The Irish Family – Doing Lomo Before it was Popular or Profitable

Monumental (Halina 35mm)

I had dinner in my mother-in-laws house recently and I was handed what used to pass for the family camera. I was told it never worked right, that half the time when the film was processed it came back blank with a note from the chemist. Someone suggested that even when a picture was successful they always looked terrible. I was told I should try and take something with it for a laugh.

I loaded a roll of Agfa Vista 200. I then reloaded it because it did not spool correctly. I managed it the third time. Without pressing the shutter once I had already used four shots. I can see why people got annoyed with these in the olden days. I can just imagine all the weddings, christenings and family outings that people do not have pictures of due to this camera.

The Halina 160 is a 35mm compact camera with a built-in flash. A single speed shutter of around 1/125s and the aperture is set using the ISO settings button 100/200, 400 and 1000. It is the most plastic camera I have every held and I own a Holga. When you turn on the on-camera flash it sounds like the sound barrier being broken and you could use it to take x-rays. This camera screams Lomo and if it was still being manufactured it would be on sale in Urban Outfitters for €80.

I shot through the roll of film on a miserable grey day while out with a group of photowalkers and I am tickled by the results. I sent a link for them to my Mother in law and she does not believe it is from the same camera that was used to ruin many a happy family outing.

Were you or your family doing Lomo before it was popular or profitable?

Final Stop (Halina 35mm)Connolly Station

Formal (Halina 35mm)The Grounds at The Royal Hospital Kilmainham now the Irish Museum of Modern Art

Autumn (Halina 35mm)Autumn Leaves

The Wiffy (Halina 35mm) The River Liffey

Black and Amber (Halina 35mm)The World Famous Dillon’s Pub – The Black & Amber

1. wolke205 / Dec 1 2011 2:50 pm

The “Autumn Leaves Photo” is so beautiful 🙂

2. marinachetner / Dec 1 2011 4:18 pm

awesome shots. I am just learning how to use a DSLR! That’s hard enough for me 🙂

• Aware of the Void / Dec 4 2011 9:35 pm

Thanks Marina, the beauty of the Halina 160 was that it is supposed to be a very cheap and easy to use point and shoot camera. It is a bit of a junker but a fun one. I would imagine that when my wife’s family were using it for outings it cost a small fortune to get film processed so if it did not turn out it was a big deal.

3. abu zar / Dec 2 2011 1:03 am

goes to show that its the photographer and not the camera 🙂
    among these , my fav would be #3 Irish Museum

4. Daphne Ng / Dec 3 2011 8:00 am

Loving the dark tones of this! All my current film photos are quite bright and warm and cheery, but I’ve always liked leaning towards the darker film hahah
    The second photo of greens is my fav! Almost prefect symmetry.

• Aware of the Void / Dec 4 2011 9:28 pm

Thanks Daphne, dark tones are pretty much a park of an Irish Summer! The gardens of the IMMA are a lovely part of Dublin to spent a bit of time in. It is quiet and a bit of a hidden gem. I think most visitors to the IMMA don’t even notice them. I think they even have a spooky gate that you might be interested in…

5. sibokk / Dec 5 2011 10:19 am

Very impressive shots from that camera. I’ve got a roll from a less impressive Halina (F700 DX) but I doubt they’ll look remotely as nice as yours.

I really like the colour and tone of the ‘Black & Amber Inn’ shot and the vignetting in the IMMA and the beautiful red in the Connolly Station shots.

Those three really stand out for me and look very Lomo indeed.

• Aware of the Void / Dec 6 2011 2:49 pm

DX encoding well that is very posh! The Black and Amber has appeared in a fair few films over the years. I was never in it when it was open but I believe it was an interesting sort of a place!!.

6. conspiracyofravens / Dec 5 2011 9:34 pm

Wow! The Connolly Station is definitely my favourite too, love the red against the darkness of the interior.

• Aware of the Void / Dec 6 2011 2:50 pm

Thanks, I pass through it a fair bit so I have a couple of variations on the same shot.

Train Forty Five

7. Glamorholic / Dec 7 2011 10:19 pm

I love the pictures. They are so beautiful. Great job!

8. Food,Photography & France / Dec 10 2011 5:29 pm

Fantastic pictures – fresh, new and perceptive. Good, good site.

9. Nandini / Dec 17 2011 3:55 pm

I loved the Autumn leaves the most, and others are great too. 🙂

• Aware of the Void / Dec 18 2011 5:42 pm

I miss the greens and browns of the summer, everything is very gray here at the moment, Thanks for visiting Nandini..

10. Rick Schuster / Dec 19 2011 3:45 pm

Amazing what a crappy camera can produce in the hands of a great photographer. Love the Connolly Station image! It’s brilliant.

• Aware of the Void / Dec 20 2011 9:09 am

Thanks Rick! in an interesting twist I took the Hallina to a Christmas party last week and shot two rolls – lomo style – the first roll was fine a couple of keepers but the second roll was incorrectly loaded and I only discovered this when I reached my 42nd shot on the roll… such is life!

11. Photobooth Journal / Dec 21 2011 8:53 am

Wow! Now I know what lomography is. (love Google!) Is your Holga a pinhole camera?

• Aware of the Void / Dec 21 2011 12:55 pm

Hi Katherine, just a normal boring 120mm Holga I am afraid, I have never had much luck with it. But I may give it another go soon.. I shot this with it on 35mm film – best of a bad bunch..
      Pick Flowers

12. Moni / Jan 14 2012 5:33 pm

Oh my god, these are just gorgeous!!!

13. Caryn / Jan 28 2012 4:23 am

I especially like Connolly Station. The lines and the pops of red are striking. Yes, it’s true what they say about it not being the camera but the photographer that’s important. 🙂