March 9, 2012 / Aware of the Void

After “A Banquet – Piece” by Willem Claesz Heda

After "A Banquet - Piece" by Willem Claesz Heda

Step 1. Go to the National Gallery of Ireland.
Step 2. Find the Still Life section – this is not a real section.
Step 3. Secretly snap a picture on the iPhone – generally frowned upon in the Gallery
Step 4. Visit a shop and stock up on fruit, rolls and silverware etc
Step 5. Convert the training room in your office into a mini studio
Step 6.  Arrange fruit as per the iPhone Photo
Step 7. Take Photo
Step 8. Develop in the usual haphazard manor
Step 8. Post to the Internets.

I had a lot of fun doing this…

Still on a Roll

Still on a Roll //  Nikon F100 // Kentmere 100 // HC-110 (G) 40min @ 20c

Still an Onion

Onion by Request  //  Nikon F100  //  Kentmere 400  //  Adonal 1+100 Semi-Stand 90mins

Ketchup Recipe

Ketchup Recipe  //  Nikon F100  //  Kentmere 100  //  HC-110 (G) 40min

Still a Glass

Still a Glass  //  Nikon F100  //  Kentmere 100  //  HC-110 (G) 40min

1. marinachetner / Mar 9 2012 4:33 pm

L to the O to the V to the E! Excellent post – i hope the onion wasn’t a tear jerker. That would be one weeping gallery 😉 Great post – excellent concept, photos and words. ‘Still on a roll’ – very good! Cannot wait for your rendition/interpretation of “Still Life with Onions” by Cezanne 😉

• Aware of the Void / Mar 9 2012 10:50 pm

Thank you for your enthusiastic comment. That onion would have been fine in the kitchen but I cut it in half and then left it in my office for a couple of hours and forgot about it. The smell was a little strange, it was a little like I had cooked onions in the wrong room…

I was lucky enough to see that Cezanne in Paris. I think I might just give it a whirl, it was a lot of fun doing my Heda.

2. wolke205 / Mar 9 2012 6:27 pm

Great Still Life 🙂 I wish I had those pineapple here right now 😉

• Aware of the Void / Mar 9 2012 10:44 pm

The pineapple was a little past its best and was a bit woody. Still it is a wonder that we can have them here in winter at all.

3. Photobooth Journal / Mar 9 2012 8:38 pm

Fabulous! And a wonderfully amusing post as usual.

4. Kathryn / Mar 11 2012 9:00 am

Sounds fun. Really interesting post.

5. David A Lockwood / Mar 11 2012 4:02 pm

the glass – excellent.

David.

6. christian harkness / Mar 11 2012 6:18 pm

I just love seeing your posts and ‘digesting’ you wonderful sense of humor!

7. kathryningrid / Mar 11 2012 9:35 pm

Great approach! Usually galleries won’t get too snippy about photography if (a) you use no flash and (b) you shoot only things in their permanent collections, since they don’t often have any rights to ‘share’ visiting exhibitions, and (c) you disable any laser focus sensors on your camera that could damage the artworks. Certainly if you ask and they don’t object, discretion, as you noted, is still key though! I hate being a visitor and getting my view blocked irritatingly by pushy photographers who don’t show consideration for the rest of us. That being said, art is all about sharing, as far as I’m concerned, so if taking a keepsake photo to inspire such delightfully, erm, *inspired* work as your follow-up work here is on the agenda, hurray! I especially like the tomatoes and the seeded bun in this set, but they’re all fun.
    Kathryn

• Aware of the Void / Mar 11 2012 10:52 pm

Thanks Kathryn, this particular galley is pretty strict – I once took a photo of the staircase in the main entrance and was asked to leave. The only remarkable thing about the staircase was that my wife was standing on it.

Once I found the painting that I was interested in I went looking for the postcard in the gift shop but they did not have the one I wanted. I snapped it with my phone and the photo has now been deleted. I referred to it a couple of time while setting up my platter. We have some books in the house with fine still life work in them but I wanted the Heda shot because it is one of my favorites in the Gallery. Having recreated a poor homage I think i will stick to enjoying the original in future…

8. Mel / Mar 11 2012 10:09 pm

Very nice pictures! I never understood why museums would give such grief over taking a simple picture of an exhibition. At the Metropolitan Museum of Art, you’ll always see people with cameras (the perks of being in NYC I suppose. Everyone’s a huge shutterbug, you can get away with pretending to be a tourist). In any case, I guess they want you to buy the postcards at the shop. 😛

Kathryningrid raised an interesting point, I never thought about my camera having laser focus sensors (unless you’d count the tally light?) and that would potentially damage the paintings. Something to think about the next time I’m at a museum. ^^;;

• Aware of the Void / Mar 11 2012 10:57 pm

Thanks Mel, I was in the MOMA a few years ago and was amazed by the behavior of some of the people taking photos of the art. They were coming in waves and the shutters sounded like machine gun fire…It was actually hard to see some of the more popular paintings.

I generally leave the camera in the bag when I am in galleries and try and enjoy the work because the photos and postcards never really do the art justice.

9. sibokk / Mar 12 2012 9:14 am

Hey! That’s an interesting idea. I went through a phase of making wonky versions of famous paintings (often with my eyes closed or not looking at the paper/canvas).

I see a potential project unfolding here.

Here’s a link to some of those paintings on my old Flickr account to see what I mean:
    After Manet - Le Dejeuner sur L'Herbe
    After Gauguin - Spirit of the Dead Watching (version 3)
    After Velazquez : Las Miñas

I normally hate tomatoes but I like those guys.

10. Aware of the Void / Mar 12 2012 12:43 pm

Thanks Simon, I really like your Velázquez. The national gallery here has “Kitchen Maid with the Supper at Emmaus” it is very beautiful and always grabs my attention.

This might be next attempt at this sort of thing. Do you still paint or has the photography taken over completely?

• sibokk / Mar 13 2012 12:09 pm

No, sadly I don’t paint/draw any more since my daughter is now using my ‘studio’, for lack of a better name, for a bedroom.

One thing though, if I don’t do anything ‘creative’ for a while it builds up until I go insane and vomit drawings and paintings all over the place. See my Flickr Photostream as evidence for 2011’s explosion, all that would normally be drawings/paintings but since I’d just gotten back into photography it’s all photos.

The Velazquez painting is ripe for a ‘cover version’ though.

11. emmahevezi / Mar 19 2012 6:32 pm

love this. i think that it is true, art is what you make of it. i went to the natural history museum today and discovered items which i could either make, display myself or find in my back garden. i love these photos because you have made the lighting and the overall composition lovely so it brings out the inner beauty of the every day items which you have chosen 🙂
    thankyou for sharing these i look forward to the next images 🙂

1. Is the Fuji Instax the Answer? | Aware of the Void