June 22, 2012 / Aware of the Void

Jean

Jean by Aware of the Void
Jean, a photo by Aware of the Void on Flickr.

Jean had the table next to a friend of mine at a market in the city last weekend. I had taken a couple of snaps of the market and we got chatting about photography. We eventually got onto the subject of portraits and she explained that she hated having her picture taken and that the photos never looked like her. I told her about my ongoing portraits of strangers project and I asked her to pose for a couple of shots so I could see if she liked them. She posed, I emailed………I never heard back.

Camera:Nikon F100
Film: Neopan 1600
Dev: Rodinal 1+100 90mins 20c

My Facebook page – Say Hello

Development details on FilmDev

1. Chillbrook / Jun 22 2012 6:13 pm

It’s a nice portrait. A shame you never heard back.

2. simon0252 / Jun 22 2012 6:13 pm

Beautiful portrait. Let’s hope she liked it.

3. christian harkness / Jun 22 2012 6:15 pm

Wow, this is a great portrait & even-though you did not hear back, I am sure she likes it! As a ‘dyed int eh wool’ Neopan 1600 lover, I am delighted to see you use it. Are you still able to get it? I saw a roll of it on Amazon the other day and they wanted $63.00 for it – no kidding. However, I have also seen it for much, much less. I can’t believe you are getting away with developing it in Rodinal. Is it the high dilution that lets you do it??? I did it a few times [don’t remember the dilution] and boy, was it grainy – too much for even me.

Best wishes -c-

• Aware of the Void / Jun 23 2012 12:08 pm

Thanks Christian, I am down to my last two rolls of 1600 and I don’t think I would part with that sort of money to get more. I only used it last week because it was a miserable grey day in Dublin and I thought I might need the speed. You are not the first to mention the surprising results with the Rodinal/Neopan 1600 combination. It is just the developer I pulled off the shelf when I wanted to do the roll. I done a quick search on the filmdev site and seen the results others got so I gave it a go.
      My technique for this roll was:

1 Pre-soak for 5 minutes at 20C
      2 Adox Adonal/Rodinal 6mm developer 600mm water
      3 10 Gentle inversions initially.
      4 Stand for 1 Hour 30 Mins
      5 20c water as a stop bath-rinse for 5 minutes
      6 Ilford rapid fixer for 5 minutes.
      7 Final rise for 10 minutes
      8 Photoflo bath for 30 seconds

and this is from the same roll.
      As You are Now so Once Were We.

• christian harkness / Jun 23 2012 2:55 pm

Wow, that is truly impressive! The one hour development blows my mind and I love the fact that you are doing it. I am, of course, familiar with the theory that by not agitating the developer works on the shadows and exhausts itself on the highlights, but I have never gone to the extreme you have. Great to see the results!

4. James Pearson / Jun 22 2012 6:58 pm

Wonderful portrait, really wonderful! Such a shame she didn’t reply, she has to love it!

5. bluelyon / Jun 22 2012 7:19 pm

People often think photos of themselves don’t “look like” them because it’s not what they see when they look in a mirror. The photographic image is a flipped version of what they expect to see and so it looks slightly “off.”

Nonetheless, it’s a very nice portrait and I’m sorry she didn’t respond. I hope she liked it.

• Aware of the Void / Jun 23 2012 12:16 pm

Thanks Carissa, I am glad you liked it and I will let you into a little secret of mine but you are not allowed to tell anyone……….90% of the time I invert peoples portraits so it looks like their mirror image.

• bluelyon / Jun 23 2012 2:55 pm

I guess that should do the trick as long as there aren’t any words anywhere. ;).

6. abu zar / Jun 22 2012 9:03 pm

“She posed, I emailed………I never heard back ”

🙂

send it again (from/to a different alias) I am pretty sure she didn’t get it

7. 1cruzdelsur / Jun 22 2012 10:23 pm

A lovely picture, the child also has a special glamor.

8. drawandshoot / Jun 23 2012 3:24 am

It’s a great portrait! Well done.

9. nursemyra / Jun 23 2012 12:11 pm

Love it. almost looks like silver gelatin

• Aware of the Void / Jun 23 2012 12:22 pm

Glad you like it, Not Myra. I think it would be an interesting one to print but I am still struggling with the whole portraits of strangers thing and putting one on the wall may be a step too far.

10. Moni / Jun 23 2012 1:19 pm

I really like your portraits a lot. I love her expression. You can see a bit of her reluctance there.

11. silly_G / Jun 24 2012 3:16 am

Beautiful! I would love to run into a stranger taking portraits of strangers 🙂

12. ThisHandcraftedLife / Jun 24 2012 1:42 pm

She looks a bit wary! Lovely portrait.

13. Susie / Jul 29 2012 9:10 am

I enjoy photographing strangers too! I’m disappointed you didn’t hear back from Jean because this is a pleasing portrait… I like Jean’s direct engagement with the viewer, and the DOF which effectively isolates the subject while still providing context… nicely captured!
    Susie

• Aware of the Void / Jul 29 2012 9:19 am

Thanks Susie, I think she had a very natural pose that came through in the shot. I do a fair bit of this kind of thing and I always enjoy the results even if the shots don’t turn out I feel I learn a little every time.