August 19, 2012 / Aware of the Void

Pack it Up, Pack it In

Johnstown Castle, Wexford

We are on the move again and I think I can say with absolute confidence that this is the last time we will move…..maybe!

I remember with just a small bit of embarrassment that the last time we moved house instead of a removal company we just hired two roadies and a tour manager. I own a silly number of instruments which for the most part are hidden in a cupboard in a spare bedroom and remain unplayed from one end of the year to the next.

This time I think I will need a photographers assistant to help lug all the equipment that I seem to have amassed in a few short years. Last move I owned one digital camera and a lens now I have a complete darkroom setup and more cameras than I remember buying.

The one great thing about house hunting is that for the last couple of months I have been dealing with banks, solicitors and estate agents each one more representative of their profession than the last and I am sure they will be the inspiration for many a blog post in the near future.

I have to keep this brief because my wife just shouted up that stairs that it sounds like I am typing not packing…

These are some of the properties that made the short list in our house hunting. The quotes are from the actual Estate Agent brochures.
Poulnabrone Dolmen - Slavich Paper (Lith Print)

Two Bed one bath, would benefit from some modernization

Not a Zombie

Three berth house boat very, very, close to the Lake

So Neo it's Classical

Victorian charm in a neoclassical style, benefits from a well ventilated front (and back)

Palladio - Darkroom Print

A “must see” for all home improvement enthusiasts. This property is just perfect some someone hoping to put their own stamp on something …

Shepherds Delight

“Mostly Haunted”

1. Denis O'Donovan / Aug 19 2012 9:51 am

Think there might be some water ingress issues with the House Boat – nothing a tube of silicone sealer wouldn’t fix though 😉

• Aware of the Void / Aug 19 2012 11:18 am

Thanks Denis, my motto is if you can’t fix it with silicone then its not broken.

• hahnro / Mar 29 2015 8:07 pm

What about Duck Tape? “When Silicone Just Won’t Do..”

2. EarlHarrisPhotography.com / Aug 19 2012 10:32 am

I’m thinking the haunted option would have plenty of useful darkroom space and perhaps the benefit of photo assistants who can float and might work for little pay. 🙂

3. drawandshoot / Aug 19 2012 1:58 pm

All fantastic choices! You might have difficulty setting up a dark room in some of these, though…
    I love the first one, a beautiful lith!
    Happy moving (and packing…) 🙂

• Aware of the Void / Aug 19 2012 7:42 pm

Thanks Karen, A friend gave me some of the Slavich paper to try and I am intrigued by the results – I say friend he is more of a film pusher always providing me with the next hit….
      Packing is as much fun as to be expected.

4. ehpem / Aug 19 2012 3:54 pm

I don’t blame you for typing rather than packing – I hate moving. Great illustration of the Estate Agent’s weasel words. And, I totally love that link to a care and feeding of roadies.

• Aware of the Void / Aug 19 2012 7:47 pm

I would have assumed that up there in the more civilized part of the world that is Canada estate agents would be a shining beacon and an example to the rest of the world.
      Earlier in the year I found a link to a site that was collecting “Agent speak” and putting all on one website but I could not find it today.
      As always thanks for the visit and kind words.

5. christian harkness / Aug 19 2012 4:55 pm

These are an absolute treasure – having just moved in June, my heart goes out to you and I wish you the best of luck. May the new castle have a big moat and functioning drawbridge! 🙂

• Aware of the Void / Aug 19 2012 7:49 pm

Thanks Christian, I will test the drawbridge on Friday if all goes to plan…..Watch this space.

6. Moni / Aug 19 2012 9:16 pm

Ha! God. Nightmares from my own house buying experience come to mind…(which was great blog fodder!)

• Aware of the Void / Aug 20 2012 10:46 am

I have started a list of names that can be used to protect the innocent…..

7. marinachetner / Aug 20 2012 9:55 pm

get to packing Brendan – enough responding to commentators 😉 My husband made sure he was behind the wheel of the moving truck – he wouldn’t trust removalists with out stuff after one time when they broke way too many a piece of furniture. Luckily none of his music studio equipment was damaged. he won’t take the chance again though… (much to my chagrin; I’d rather be riding in our car across country) Look forward to your upcoming entertaining posts. Good luck with le move.

• Aware of the Void / Aug 21 2012 6:51 am

Thanks Marina, it is always hard to trust other people with your possessions. We are moving close to where we live now so the move should be pretty painless – lots of small trips rather than one big van load. Any of the instruments I own that have any value, sentimental or monetary are now resting safely in my parents house till we get settled.
      For me the worst thing about house hunting and moving is I am struggling to keep up with all the blogs I like on here, but I suppose it will give me plenty to read when I get ensconced in the new place.

8. David A Lockwood / Aug 26 2012 6:50 pm

I hope the move has gone/going ok….. we have been looking for a new house for 10 years of more: Beam me up Scotty….! I hate the idea. It should be a lot easier than it is but as you indicated, everyone seems to want their little bit of the pie. I refuse to play which infuriates my Wife.

Loved the images especially Victorian charm.

David.

9. Chris Fitzgerald / Sep 19 2012 9:05 pm

“Mostly Haunted!” Haha! We’ve been looking in LA for a new apartment. Here, the code words are “luxury, lux, modern,” and “classy.” If those are any of the words in the description, it’s not worth even looking.

• Aware of the Void / Sep 23 2012 7:28 am

I would love to have seen Classy in a brochure here. My personal favorite that we saw in a flyer that the agent actually had printed was “ideal for someone wanting to put their stamp on something”….Good luck with the hunting it is a soul destroying pursuit.

1. Can You Ever Love a Cat? | Aware of the Void