October 13, 2012 / Aware of the Void

International Double Exposure – with a Twist

I'M THE BOSS by Aware of the Void
I’M THE BOSS, a photo by Aware of the Void on Flickr.

Myself and Flickr buddy Inga decided that it would be a whizz to double expose and redscale a roll of film. In the finest traditions of international relations Inga shot her side of the roll in the Netherlands and shot mine in Ireland. When it arrived in Dublin I reversed the film and reloaded it into the canister. I shot the redscaled side of the film at 80iso. The plan was to get some interesting double exposures with the added drama of a hint of red dreaminess.

Unfortunately Inga had a problem with her camera and only one shot got exposed in the Netherlands. This is that one shot. The rest of the roll is “normal” redscale.

I really think there is potential here and steps are being taken to repeat the experiment and hopefully we will have more shots to share.

My Camera was a Nikon F100
Inga used a LC-A+
Film: DM Paradies 400 ISO – Rescaled and shot at 80 ISO
Dev: C-41

1. Moni / Oct 13 2012 9:15 pm

What a great idea!

• Aware of the Void / Oct 13 2012 10:17 pm

Join in, shoot a roll and stick it in the post…

2. David / Oct 14 2012 3:33 am

Good for you, moving forward with the single frame. It looks great. (I should read more about redscale but) Are you shooting at two different exposure indexes for the two different sides of the film?

• Aware of the Void / Oct 14 2012 6:03 am

Just glad we got anything at all David. Inge would have shot at box speed or maybe one stop lower to allow for the double exposure. I shot the red side at 80iso. It is pretty hard to over expose on the redscale and the lower the iso the less red you get.

3. Caryn / Oct 14 2012 5:29 am

Love the photo and the idea. Looking forward to seeing your future experiments!

• Aware of the Void / Oct 14 2012 5:49 am

Thanks Caryn, I posted a link to this on my FB and it looks like a few of us will be doing more film swops. I think you should get involved…

4. marinachetner / Oct 15 2012 3:09 am

While the idea is lost on me (I’m all about digital), I love the resulting photo. Whatever you’re experimenting with, keep doing it!

• Aware of the Void / Oct 15 2012 8:22 am

Thanks Marina, I may write a long, boring and detailed explanation of the process just for you :0

5. Denihiloism / Nov 5 2012 3:18 pm

Nice! Will do double expose in the near future if possible~

6. ehpem / Nov 22 2012 4:25 am

really interesting idea, and even if you got just one photo out of that roll, this one makes it worthwhile.

7. joserenteriac / Jan 24 2014 10:50 pm

What an amazing thing. I’ll keep following to see how it goes!

1. My weekend. | Blatherskite