November 16, 2012 / Aware of the Void

I Have Seen the (Infrared) Light

National Botanic Gardens

Just to be clear I have not in fact seen IR light for that is impossible. Instead I have made a concerted effort to try and capture it on film. To this end I have spent money on a special filter and purchased a few rolls of a special type of film that is sensitive to light at the infrared end of the spectrum.

I am genuinely perplexed by the results. Perhaps the photos have an ethereal quality that is lacking in some of my other shots. It is hard to tell because I find it really difficult to take landscapes. I understand the principle and the technical aspect but I sometimes struggle with the composition and when I reflect on them I find the scene uninteresting. I often take a few shots and than have an urge to run into the scene to lend it some human interest. Maybe I need to concentrate on my portraits more.

I will continue to shoot the IR film because I find the results interesting and until I figure out why I like them at least it is making me think about my photography.
Irish Wood Imp

Irish Wood Imp  //  Nikon F100  //  Ilford SFX 200 (IR)  //  Hoya G (Orange) + Circular Polarizer

The River Tolka

The River Tolka //  Nikon F100  //  Rollei Infrared 400S  //  Heliopan Infrared 715 (88A)

Roman in the Park

Roman in the Park  //  Nikon F100  //   Efke IR820  //  Heliopan Infrared 715 (88A)

Herculanean Temple

Herculanean Temple  //  Nikon F100  //   Efke IR820  //  Heliopan Infrared 715 (88A)

Alveoli

Alveoli  //  Nikon F100  //  Ilford SFX 200 (IR)  //  Hoya G (Orange) + Circular Polarizer

So Neo it's Classical

Other Peoples ArtOther Peoples Art //  Nikon F100  //  Rollei Infrared 400S  //  Heliopan Infrared 715 (88A)

1. Steve Osborne / Nov 16 2012 8:33 pm

With the 3rd picture, you created a wonderful “mystical” effect.

• Aware of the Void / Nov 16 2012 8:35 pm

Thanks Steve, nice flow of water and a 20 second exposure. Glad you like it thanks for the feedback.

• Steve Osborne / Nov 16 2012 8:37 pm

The 4th one is also fabulously mystical. I just wanted to make sure I also gave you feedback on this one.

2. billart1 / Nov 16 2012 8:50 pm

Reblogged this on billartlovesart.

3. Simon Wallerstedt / Nov 16 2012 9:36 pm

This is something I’ve wanted to try as well, but I haven’t got around to it. I really like the results you’re getting. Great work!

• Aware of the Void / Nov 16 2012 9:42 pm

Thanks Simon, I find when I make the effort I tend to get rewarded but sometimes I struggle to think how I will get though 36 shots.

4. Moni / Nov 16 2012 9:43 pm

These are all so great! I especially love Roman In The Park.

5. jsodphotography / Nov 17 2012 12:26 am

The ‘Roman in the Park’ is absolutely stunning, it has quite a mystic about it. I also like ‘Alveoli’ quite a lot.

• Aware of the Void / Nov 21 2012 8:33 pm

Thanks, I get to shoot there a lot as it is in walking distance of my house. I like that spot and it always reminds me of a spooky kids program that was on the TV when I younger.

6. Luddy's Lens / Nov 17 2012 1:28 pm

I dunno what you’re worried about — these are beautiful!

I’ve tried the Ilford SFX 200, with “nice” but not exciting results. I like what you’ve got here with the Rollei in particular; I’ll have to give that a go.

7. missmadaboutravel / Nov 17 2012 2:18 pm

Gorgeous pictures! 😉

• Aware of the Void / Nov 21 2012 8:33 pm

Thanks you for your visit and kind comment.

• missmadaboutravel / Nov 21 2012 8:53 pm

8. Carissa / Nov 17 2012 11:31 pm

These are amazing. They all have an ethereal feel to them.

9. David A Lockwood / Nov 18 2012 5:21 am

These are excellent, you seem to have an eye for this medium.

David.

• Aware of the Void / Nov 21 2012 8:35 pm

Thanks David, I do like the effect but I think it is combine two aspects of photography that I find very challenging…..Landscapes and IR.

10. patricknicholas / Nov 18 2012 1:34 pm

the Roman in the Park image reminds of a David Caspar Friedrich painting. It would make a good book cover for H.Hesse’s Narziss and Goldmund

11. ThisHandcraftedLife / Nov 19 2012 3:42 am

Love these pictures, they are surreal. Makes me think that if I were superman, I’d see like this with my superpowers. Do you think?

12. marinachetner / Nov 19 2012 3:59 am

I love all of these shots. There’s something behind them, which makes you want to look over them many times. I don’t think you should question your eye. Keep experimenting and sharing the results 🙂

• Aware of the Void / Nov 21 2012 8:37 pm

Thanks Marina, kind words as always. I will keep trying and see does it fit me better in the future.

13. steviegill / Nov 23 2012 9:46 am

The IR certainly lends an ethereal/mystical quality to the shots. Nice work

14. hellwheeler / Nov 27 2012 12:20 am

Hey there, that River Tolka shot is awesome. I like the others also but that one really stands on top 😉

15. grumpytykepix / Jan 22 2013 10:21 am

Hi. Thanks for the ‘like’ on my post. I’ve not come across your blog before but I really like it because you write something rather than just posting pictures, and you don’t seem to post several times a day which I just can’t keep up with – so I can ‘follow’ you. I’ve never been very impressed before by IR stuff but I really like the first one of yours here. Maybe I’ll try some sometime.

• Aware of the Void / Jan 24 2013 2:31 pm

Thanks for stopping by Tyke. It is a nice to be complemented for my lack of posting. My plan is to post more often but I need to have something at least vaguely interesting to write about so don’t worry I will never be hard to follow…I tend to post pictures most days to flickr and that deals with that particular itch.
      I am with you on the IR stuff, it is interesting but I am still unsure if I like it myself.

16. Contrastique / Jan 28 2013 10:12 am

Fantastic! Still have rolls of IR film waiting for me to try them out with a filter I bought quite some time ago now. Too many things on the wanna-try-list 😉
    It doesn’t quite fit all the images but I’m just a sucker for trees and IR. Combined with the lith printing process IR makes for wonderous images.

• Aware of the Void / Jan 28 2013 1:23 pm

I know exactly what you mean about a wanna-try list. Every-time I look at your blog my list of must try papers grows longer and longer.
      I have not had muck luck making liths from these negs, I think I am aiming too high for my abilities at the moment. Lith is very much secondary for me at the moment but I do always have a tray of Morsch easy lith A+B on the go when I do any printing. I tend to just do a couple of extra prints on foma to see how they look.

Your blog is a great resource for a novice like me. Thanks for your kind words.

• Contrastique / Jan 28 2013 11:28 pm

Haha, good to see I’m infecting others too with this “new paper” bug 😉 I’m expecting some new paper shortly (but I guess you’ve already seen that). New papers, new developers and endless possibilities = I wish I were a cat!

Lith is definitely something you have to put some time and effort into but it’s truly awesome (I’m biased of course). Have fun!

17. Marie / Nov 10 2013 8:38 pm

These are absolutely wonderful! Creamy dreamy IR effect, love it! 🙂

• Aware of the Void / Nov 10 2013 8:53 pm

Thanks Marie, glad you like them. Thanks for taking the time to look through my blog this evening.

18. deirdremarieosullivan / Mar 25 2014 9:18 am

absolutely love these, 4th & 5th images are my faves. Others I find to me look over exposed and that’s something I just can’t tolerate being a camera club member (or was but will return to the club)
    The self portrait is neat too… lovely light. Very inspiring. I am going to check out the link and definitely give this a try at some point. I always thought you needed a separate camera which you would alter and assign only to IR photography! Thanks for the blog!

1. Rollei Retro 80s – First Impressions | Aware of the Void