December 30, 2012 / Aware of the Void

Carpe Diem

Carpe Diem

Following on from the much discussed failure that was my original film swap with Flickr buddy Inge and taking the advice of the late, great Samuel Beckett “Try again, fail again, fail better” we decided to give it another go. To try and make sure we had some success this time around we sent film in two directions. I shipped a roll of Fuji Superia 200 towards Inge and a roll of DM Paradies 400 landed on my door step. The plan was simple, redscale and double expose one roll and do a straight double exposure on the other roll.

I shot my half of the project in and around Dublin, Ireland. Inge shot hers it in Utrecht in the Netherlands.

My Camera was an Olympus Trip 35 for the straight double exposure and Inge used a Praktica B200. For the redscale roll I used my Nikon F100 and Inge used her great LC-A+

You will see more of Inge’s wonderful work on Flickr

If you would like to try one of these international film swaps please get in touch. it can be as simple as shooting a roll of film and sticking it in the post.

Filmswap with Aware of the Void II

Giraffes and Steel

The Luas and the Snow Leopard

Leafy

1. Moni / Dec 31 2012 12:09 am

I have some film to send your way. I will do so next week, after the holiday. These are amazingly awesome!

• Aware of the Void / Dec 31 2012 10:01 pm

No rush Moni, I am glad you like them. There is a few beauties on the rolls

2. drawandshoot / Dec 31 2012 3:39 am

Brilliant idea! And the images are exciting.

• Aware of the Void / Dec 31 2012 10:03 pm

It is a bit of fun, I already enjoy the delayed gratification that is film photography but waiting to see how one of these turns out really is exciting. As always thanks for your kind comments.

3. wolke205 / Dec 31 2012 4:27 pm

Happy New Year 😀

4. Z / Dec 31 2012 7:26 pm

These are awesome!

5. ThisHandcraftedLife / Jan 2 2013 3:05 am

Love the images! Trying to decipher them is half the fun.

• Aware of the Void / Jan 2 2013 4:44 pm

Do you want to give it a go? shoot a roll of 35mm, stick it in the post and I will shoot it again over here…What really freaks me out is when two shots line up so well. The graveyard and the Carpe Diem is a personal favourite.

6. M / Jan 28 2013 10:27 pm

I didn’t know that you could do double exposures on an Olympus trip 35! Was it a case of manually rewinding the film?

• Aware of the Void / Jan 28 2013 11:16 pm

Hi, this roll was shot in two different cameras but if you want to double expose a shot with a trip push the film release button then wind the film, it will stay on the same frame. Just remember to under-expose both shots.

7. speeddemon2 / Feb 23 2013 12:06 pm

Can you explain what you mean when you say “red scale”? I like to idea of collaboration and multiple exposures.

• Aware of the Void / Feb 23 2013 2:35 pm

Hi Speeddemon, the back layer of 35mm film has a coating on it that stops light from spreading across the film plain. This layer generally has a red tint to it so if you shoot through the “wrong” side of the film you get the red colour. Generally the more you overexpose the film the gentler the effect. With these swops normally the role is shot and when it arrives with me I revers the film in the canister and re-shoot it.

If you fancy giving it a try shoot a roll of 35mm colour negative film and stick it in the post and we will see what happens…Thanks for your interest.

1. Amsterdam vs Sandy | Blatherskite