February 17, 2013 / Aware of the Void

A River Runs Through It

A River Runs Through It

I am now pretty sure that there is some form of higher power at play when it comes to these film swaps. There is normally at least one shot that woks out so well you can only assume an unseen mystical film guru is somehow involved in the process.

This was the third of my international film swaps and my second attempt with blogging buddy and fellow film enthusiast Monica. Our first attempt failed miserably when my camera jammed half way through a roll. Despite my best effort at a makeshift dark-bag the roll was lost to the sunlight. In the finest traditions of trying to fail better we had another go.
Moni shot her side of the project in Oregon – USA. I then red scaled two of the rolls and reshot them in Dublin.

My Camera was a Nikon F100
Moni used a Pentax P30T
Film: Fuji Superia Xtra 400

You will see more of Moni’s wonderful work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pappergank/

or her excellent blog at  http://blatherskiteblog.com/

If you would like to try one of these international film swaps please get in touch. It can be as simple as shooting a roll of film and sticking it in the post.

1. ajdussault / Feb 17 2013 8:43 pm

This is stunning! Absolutely beautiful. I completely agree that the film Gods exist and they have certainly laid their hands on this.

• Aware of the Void / Feb 17 2013 9:04 pm

There are a few gems on the two rolls that I have developed so far. I still have one left to shoot.

2. Moni / Feb 17 2013 10:24 pm

I have been running around and haven’t had a chance to look at everything. This one is incredible!! Thanks for inviting me to swap film! What a wonderful experience!

• Aware of the Void / Feb 18 2013 5:10 pm

I am glad it work out so well after or previous failed attempt..

• Moni / Feb 18 2013 5:30 pm

me too! can I post some of my favorites on my blog?

3. simon0252 / Feb 18 2013 5:41 am

Marvellous image – looking forward to seeing more.

• Aware of the Void / Feb 18 2013 5:10 pm

Thanks Simon, I am sure they will all drift onto Flickr eventually.

4. Michael / Feb 18 2013 1:59 pm

Nice work Brendan! Looks really funky!

• Aware of the Void / Feb 18 2013 5:09 pm

Thanks Mike – really please with how this one turned out.

• Michael / Feb 18 2013 7:13 pm

I would be too, if I had something similar..

I’ll have to redscale more of my film one of these days..

• Aware of the Void / Feb 18 2013 10:24 pm

Shoot a roll and send it my way, I will redscale and re-shoot. Join the party….How are you settling into the new place?

• Michael / Feb 18 2013 11:43 pm

Love the new place!
        It’s beautiful here.. quiet, peaceful, and very little road traffic, which is great..
        nice yard too, so the kids love it!

The only issue is the train.. and it’s barely noticeable. Always something, no matter where you go. 🙂

I’ll do that! Should be fun!
        I’ll send you a line on FB for your address when the roll is complete!

5. ThisHandcraftedLife / Feb 20 2013 8:17 pm

Wow, fantastic! What serendipity!

6. grumpytykepix / Mar 17 2013 8:38 am

Hi. Thanks for the ‘like’ on my Vivitar UW&S post. I think I might have done a ‘like’ on your post before but doing it again ‘just in case’. Your ‘like’ reminded me I’d forgotten to add a pic of the camera so now I’ve done it.

7. Debra Broughton / Apr 14 2013 9:59 pm

I can’t decide whether it’s heaven or hell but I like it either way.

8. GLSmyth / May 2 2013 6:43 pm

What a great idea, I’ve never thought of doing this. If you’d like to give B&W a try then let me know and I’ll send you a roll (George.Smyth@gmail.com).

• Aware of the Void / May 2 2013 8:50 pm

Hi George, I sent you a mail, I am keen to give this a try on B&W. “interesting” results are sure to follow.

1. International Film Swap | Blatherskite