May 12, 2013 / Aware of the Void

Free Style Film Swaps

Film Swap with Joost

This film swap business has started to develop a life of its own. Fresh rolls are now arriving every week and I am really enjoying the creative collaborations.

This latest round was shot by Joost in downtown Cairo and I re-shot it in Howth Co. Dublin.

My Camera was a Nikon F100
Joost used an Olympus 2MD
Film: …”a strange Japanese ‘lucky film’ brand 100 iso”
Dev: Lab C-41

You can catch more of Joosts work at http://www.flickr.com/photos/79818573@N04/

If you would like to try one of these international film swaps please get in touch. it can be as simple as shooting a roll of film and sticking it in the post.

Film Swap with Joost   Film Swap with Joost

1. Luddy's Lens / May 26 2013 5:58 pm

The shades + ferris wheel really turned out great!

2. mewanchuk / Jun 19 2013 5:24 pm

This sounds like a super-cool idea, and I would like to get involved. I have two questions:

1. How do you reverse the film and get it back in the canister without damaging the canister itself? (I always seem to bend them when I open them…) If you decide not to reverse the film, how do you rewind and leave enough leader out to reload?

2. (Okay, I guess it’s three questions…) If I would like to develop the film myself, is it possible for me to be the “second shooter”?

Anyway, I am in Edmonton, Canada…looking forward to corresponding!

All the best,
    Mark

• Aware of the Void / Jun 19 2013 7:05 pm

Hi Mark, nice to hear from you.

All my secrets reviled….
      1. If I redscale the film I attach the leader to the end part of an old roll. I am the same as you I always bend the canisters.
      When I get my colour film developed in the lab I always ask for all the used canisters that they have, I use these to re-roll film swaps or for bulk loading b&w. there is always a bit if film left sticking out.

I usually shoot my 35mm stuff on my Nikon f100 – this camera auto rewinds the film so I have two choices- either I let it rewind the film and use a film picked to extract the leader back out, this is always a bit of a chore so if I know I will re-shoot a roll I add a small bit of tape to the leader when I put it in the camera, this means the camera senses the tension and stops re-winding, I open the camera and I still have a film leader..

No problem at all with you being the second shooter – if I am sending film all the way to Canada I might shoot two rolls, one for redscaling I will made that here and one for normal double exposure.

PM or email me your postal address and I will shoot something in the next few weeks and get it in the post.
      Regards from Sunny Dublin

3. Chris Klug / Sep 14 2013 9:45 pm

I just found your blog today and I am interested in this film swap idea. Also, I currently reside in Pittsburgh, PA but will be moving to Dublin in about six weeks so I am looking to make a few acquaintances over there in the photography community. Love your work, and really appreciate your last post. I understand.

• Aware of the Void / Sep 14 2013 9:53 pm

Hi Chris, glad you like the post. There is a active photography community here in Dublin and a fair few of us interested in film. I look forward to meeting you when you get here. I live about ten minuets from the city by train so I am central and will be happy to give you the non tourist tour.
      If you want to shoot something while you are still in PA just drop me a line and I will send you my postal address.
      B

• Chris Klug / Sep 14 2013 10:01 pm

I’m coming over Oct 4-10 to look for a place to live. I walked around Malahide when I was there in May and am looking for an apartment there or Howth. So the film swap, is it all double exposure or can it be part of the roll exposed in one place with the rest somewhere else? If you wish, come take a look at my blog; I’d love to hear your thoughts.