June 16, 2013 / Aware of the Void

Somewhere there is a Crime Happening

Rural Decay

About two months ago I was given the loan of a Rolleifleix. I had never shot with a TLR before so was unsure how it worked or what to expect. When I first looked at the ground glass I was amazed at the clarity of the image, it looked 3D. The square format made for interesting compositions and since I have been using the Instagram app for a couple of years I think my eye was already very attuned to this way of seeing.

I fell in love with this camera and format and had every intention of stealing the camera and changing my identity to ensure that I would never need to return it. Fortunately for me the day I was scheduled for my face altering plastic surgery I was given the gift of my very own Rolleiflex. My life as a crime boss was temporally put on hold.

These are a few of the shots I took while getting to know this camera.

Call Centre

On the Banks of the Mighty Nanakin

The Doors of Perception

Sticks and Stones

And for the heck of it a shot of my new toy.

Automat Model 2

Automat Model 2

1. Esther Moliné / Jun 16 2013 1:23 pm

great photos Brendan!

2. Moni / Jun 16 2013 2:13 pm

yay for new cameras! and yay for TLR! Glad you didn’t have to steal the other one. Nice friends!

3. drawandshoot / Jun 16 2013 2:52 pm

These are exquisite, Brendan! A gorgeous range of tones and I love the compositions.

• Aware of the Void / Jun 16 2013 4:21 pm

Thanks Karen, someone inexplicable reason the square format seems to work well for me. I think it is all the practice with my phone!!

4. Carissa / Jun 16 2013 2:54 pm

Wonderful shots!

5. sibokk / Jun 16 2013 5:47 pm

Looks great Brendan!
    It’s great you got it for free and it certainly takes better photos than that Halina Viceroy I have that you expressed an interest a wee while ago.

• Aware of the Void / Jun 16 2013 6:17 pm

Thanks Simon, I never gave up on the idea of the Halina but since I struggle on a daily bases with bouts of GAS I am glad this landed on my lap.
      Pretty sure I now have all the cameras that i will ever need……maybe..

6. Michael / Jun 16 2013 6:09 pm

The thing about the Rolleiflex is the lens… The Kreuznach 75mm ƒ/3.5 Xenar is sharp at around ƒ/5.6 through to ƒ/11.. At ƒ/11 it achieves its maximum sharpness..
    Wide open it is softer than the Xenotar or Planar lens, but the softness and swirl attribute it to be a fantastic portrait lens for a more glamour type shot.
    I think that you will have a very hard time going back to 35mm after this kind of a treat with camera. The Rollei TLRs are top notch, and worth every penny! And since you got yours for free, that makes it even better!
    Congrats on the great gift and new toy!

• Aware of the Void / Jun 17 2013 10:11 am

Thanks Mike, I have been giving this a bit of a workout with portraits and am pretty please with the results so far. I know the negs from the 120 are stunning and very easy to work with in the darkroom.
      Unit the 12 shots on the rollei has really made me think about the composition of every shot and really slowed me down, which is saying something as I was never a spray and pray shooter to begin with.

• Michael / Jun 17 2013 8:13 pm

hehe.. 12 shots slows you down, try 1 shot 1 film.. 🙂
        that will definitely slow you down.. especially when each sheet of film can easily cost the same amount as one roll of 120.. (or close to it).
        Especially when in 8×10!
        That’s a lot of great fun.. But the disadvantage to the larger negative is the printing.. I have no huge enlarger for 4×5 negatives..
        Although a friend of mine does (John Meadows). And I could always just pop over there and print one or two, should I be so inclined..
        He’s also got a 5×7 enlarger that he wants to get rid of.. so .. maybe 🙂

• Aware of the Void / Jun 18 2013 7:15 am

My pinhole camera is 5 x 4 and at the moment I just make contact prints with it – I can’t even scan 4 x 5 let alone enlarge it.

7. Marnie Erpestad / Jun 20 2013 9:57 pm

Thanks for liking my post. I often shoot a Hasselblad and have found the square format addicting. Beautiful work.

8. aafke / Jun 23 2013 7:35 pm

you know i’m not a “camera-person”, but i know that my eye likes what it sees as it does here!

9. deirdremarieosullivan / Feb 11 2015 10:03 am

Where are those buildings? the ones in the first couple of photos?
    Very nice photography 🙂