June 26, 2013 / Aware of the Void

Half the Frame – Double the Fun

Fresh? No Worries

The Olympus Pen EE-3 is a compact half frame camera, it lets me shoot 72 shots on a roll of 36 exposure film. I have been playing with it on and off for a about a year and have started shooting it is a particular way. I try and compose each shot keeping in mind what the frames either side will be. This makes me very selective about what I shoot despite the abundance of frames. It also makes me look at each scene as part of a potential diptych.

I generally turn to this camera if I am in the humor of some street photography I struggle to get the elusive “decisive moment” and prefer to sit and watch the scene in the hope that something interesting presents itself.

I let the shots lie where the fall and the results are generally a bit hit and miss but it is a very pleasant way to spend an afternoon.

Sit Still/The Man from Delmonte

Warning

Double Crossing

No Shirt, No Service

KEEP HIS

Candy and Brollies

It Goes Both Ways

Tara Street Dart Station

Gallery of Photography - Dublin #1

1. sibokk / Jun 26 2013 10:42 pm

I love the angles heading towards and away from each other. This would be a great camera for creating sequences of related images. There’s a couple I hadn’t seen before, love the brolly.

• Aware of the Void / Jun 27 2013 8:35 am

I really like the camera Simon, I don’t spend nearly enough time trying to hone my “street” instincts but it is a fun camera.I did made a full roll of shots that followed a very similar theme but in the finest traditions of these things I ruined the roll and have not revisited the efforts.

• sibokk / Jun 27 2013 8:42 am

Ah that’s a shame about the roll, I hate it when I do that!

• Aware of the Void / Jun 27 2013 8:46 am

Yes but you jogging my memory has led to a germ of an idea that I am currently story boarding….stay tuned.

• sibokk / Jun 27 2013 8:47 am

Suh-weet!!
        🙂

2. ajdussault / Jun 27 2013 1:17 am

I vow, someday, someday soon, we will spend a Saturday afternoon with our film cameras, together.

• Aware of the Void / Jun 27 2013 8:36 am

Just make the plan – book the tickets – make it part of a grand tour of Europe – see you soon.

3. Luddy's Lens / Jun 28 2013 2:03 pm

A good idea to use it for street photography — these are very effective.

• Aware of the Void / Jun 28 2013 11:15 pm

Thank you Luddy, heading out again today and very tempted to bring this camera again.

1. It Was an Unpleasant Feeling | Aware of the Void