November 24, 2013 / Aware of the Void

Just Because You Can Do Something….

Man Vs Wolf Lith PrintDoes not always mean you should.

The last couple of weekends was spent printing in my darkroom.  A few weeks ago I had read on photo-pirate  Simon Kidds blog  about using a phone with your enlarger in the dark room, I was eager to give this a try. Basically you open a photo on your smart phone. Create a negative version using software. Set the phones brightness to max and jam it into the slot where the film normally goes.

I was making Lith prints that day and since the exposure and development times for the lith are very forgiving and tend to give pretty random results anyway it seemed like a good match. I enlarged the screen to fill an 8 x 10 piece of paper, exposed for around 3 minutes and developed in Moersch Easylith. The print is OK and I think it is pretty amazing that the process works at all but there are a couple of things that  mean I will not be using the system to wetprint all my digital photos. If you look closely you can see the grid from the phone screen, it is slightly less obvious on the B&W print but it is still there. The print lacks some contrast. I think it might suit smaller prints.

The process was fun as always and taught me a few things about how my enlarger works so it was a worthwhile exercise.

Camera:iPhone5

Enlarger: Meopta Opemus 6

Paper:Fomatone MG Classic Warm Tone (133 Velvet)

Dev: Moersch Easylith 15mlA + 25ml B + 200ml OB + 1000ml Water

Man Vs Wolf Print

Camera:iPhone5

Enlarger: Meopta Opemus 6

Paper:Ilford Multigrade IV RC

Dev: Ilford Multigrade Developer

969628_10151777255827236_1753983491_nOriginal Digital Photo by Cryptic Insane and he retains all rights – He is Cryptic, Insane and Awesome in equal measure.

1. christian harkness / Nov 24 2013 11:26 pm

I actually went and checked my calendar to make sure it wasn’t the 1st of April. This is pretty amazing, really. Well, photography and what we think photography is gets more confusing every day, but I guess we will just chug along. Thanks for posting this and being just adventureous enough to give the thing a try! 🙂

• Aware of the Void / Nov 26 2013 3:04 pm

I think you still own the field when in comes to pushing the boundaries – too cold for April..

2. sibokk / Nov 25 2013 8:41 am

Cool post Brendan and you’re absolutely correct, in order to make a ‘fine’ print from a smart phone it does need to be small, the moire you get from the iPhone screen becomes more obvious the larger you go; 8×10 is too large as I also discovered.

I think the Enfojer guys were making smallish square prints though I can’t recall the actual dimensions. My next experiment will be with a data projector but I need to smuggle one out of the office and have a darkroom space which I don’t have at the moment.

All the best.
    Si

• Aware of the Void / Nov 25 2013 11:50 am

Projector you say……I have a projector…..humm…..might need a bigger darkroom..

Interesting possibilities. Thanks Simon.

3. David / Nov 26 2013 1:44 am

Always nice to see process that doesn’t give the expected results rather than success after success. It’s all a process.

4. dogdreamzzzz / Dec 2 2013 12:10 am

What a great idea! I really don’t mind the grid…it looks textured…kinda’ cool. Your dog is beautiful…

• Aware of the Void / Dec 4 2013 7:27 am

Thanks for that, I had fun making it. Looking at the print agin the texture is less obvious than the scan version.

5. Son of Sharecroppers / Dec 20 2013 6:23 pm

Maybe try making a contact print from an iPhone screen . . .

1. Lumen Prints – First Attempts | Aware of the Void