December 27, 2013 / Aware of the Void

Donegal Vs Prague – Film Swap

CNV00167 (2)The international film swap has been a main stay of my photographic endeavors for most of 2013. Fresh rolls arrive in the post on a monthly basis and people always seem to be intrigued by the results. The last roll I shot was sent to me by a friend from Donegal. I hear you gasp – “but surely Donegal is in Ireland and as such this cannot not possibly considered an international film swap”. Well fear not, to remain true to the ethos of the project I booked flights to get myself out of the country so that I could shoot the roll with a clear conscience.

Maire is a freelance photographer living and working in one of the most beautiful parts of Ireland. She shot her side of the roll in Donegal and I jumped on a plane and re-shot it in Prague in the Czech Republic. I am not quite sure how it happened but for some reason all Marie’s shots seem to be upside-down. I have rotated some here to make sure that we get a flavour of both Prague and Donegal.

Just before leaving for Prague my Mother handed me an Olympus Muj II that had been lying around her house for years. I had great fun with the Muj II on holiday and found using a pure point and shoot camera liberating for a change. Marie used her Nikon F2 and the film was a chain pharmacy’s own brand colour negative film.

To see more of Marie’s work you can visit her facebook page, or browse her flickr account. If you would like to try one of these international film swaps please get in touch. It can be as simple as shooting a roll of film and sticking it in the post.

CNV00184 (1)  CNV00171 (1)  CNV00169 (2)CNV00177 (1)

1. aafke / Dec 27 2013 1:06 pm

Great stuff, different in many ways. The strange thing is Donegal seems far more “in focus” than Prague….. Hence the caption “Donegal vs Prague”?

2. sibokk / Dec 30 2013 7:02 am

They look great Brendan, really good. I particularly like the second last photo, it keeps screaming “James Bond Super-Villian Hideout” at me but they’re all very special. I’d love to take part in a future Film-Swap, the results have been really interesting.

• Aware of the Void / Dec 30 2013 11:05 pm

Simon, you let me know when your ready and I will send you my address, shoots any 35mm, underexpose by a stop if possible (not essential) and we will see what happens.
      Really glad you have been enjoying them.

3. jesús joglar / Jan 1 2014 11:05 pm

Good work!

4. Marie / Jan 2 2014 2:30 pm

Great work, both of you!

5. lightarchivist / Jan 5 2014 1:26 pm

well done!

6. dopestyler / Feb 1 2014 3:26 pm

I just recently found out about this Film Swap last December. I’d love to do one with you, let me know if you’re interested to do a swap with a Singaporean 🙂

• Aware of the Void / Feb 1 2014 9:20 pm

Would love to do a swap, if you want to shoot first let me know and I will email you my postal address. A Singapore swap would be fantastic.