December 31, 2013 / Aware of the Void

Travel Broadens the Mind

DSC_7134

2013 was a pretty remarkable year for me in terms of world travel. I have visited Norway in the north, Singapore in the East, Canada in the west, Africa in the south and a huge number of places in between. I did all this without leaving Ireland. This was the year that I stopped worrying about asking people questions about where they are from.

I found that people were happy to talk about their lives and were intrigued by the interest I took in their homeland. Some of these people were strangers and are now my friends, some are people I met once randomly and chances are that I will never see them again, but from all of them I learned something. I would like to think that I am pretty broadminded and that I have never made assumptions about people’s culture, countries or ideologies – I was surprised to find that I had some preconceptions about the would I live in and 2013 was the year that ended. My world got bigger this year and for the people that took the time to help me travel the globe I am truly grateful.

It turns out that people are people everywhere.

Pin_Ektar100_254 Pin_Ektar100_253 Pin_Ektar100_251 Pin_Ektar100_249 Param Jenn DSC_6991 DSC_7961 DSC_7917 DSC_7972 DSC_7920  Yolanda We are Ugly but We have the Music TRIX_1+30_7min_Sheet*_001 The Shopkeeper Prague_Trix_400_r09_16mi070 Paulito Ming Available Faces Project F100_Sht5_Trix_st1+30_021 F100_Sht5_Trix_st1+30_007 F100_Sht5_Trix_st1+30_012 Elisabet Anna Ania - and her "Lady with the Pen" Vinny Stephan Paolo Inma Sabina Alexander A Kharlamov CNV00138 Daria Bronislav Bamba

I used a variety of cameras and film during the year and in the bunch above there is even some digital stuff. Mostly shot using my Nikon F100, Rolleiflex, iPhone and Nikon D90 – If you have a question about any particular picture just let me know.

Have a great 2014.

1. marinachetner / Dec 31 2013 6:08 pm

These are amazing portraits — full of character! Happy New Year!

• Aware of the Void / Dec 31 2013 6:24 pm

Thanks Marina, many happy returns to you too. Really enjoyed you blog this year but because of the way my reader works it was not always easy to comment and like…2014 will see me find a better way of tracking the blogs I love \o/

• marinachetner / Dec 31 2013 7:16 pm

I hear you! WordPress wiped out all my preferences and blogs I follow, so I’m starting to get back and resubscribe to them all! Til 2014!

• Aware of the Void / Dec 31 2013 7:19 pm

I hope I make the list 🙂

2. Moni / Dec 31 2013 8:14 pm

Really wonderful portraits Brendan! And thank YOU for expanding my horizons this past year! you are my first Irish from Ireland friend and I have learned so much about your country through your photography and friendship. As I said to Inge, I am looking forward to being IRL friends in April. Happy New Year!

• Aware of the Void / Jan 1 2014 2:26 am

Thanks Moni really glad you enjoyed them. See you in the real world in April

3. christian harkness / Dec 31 2013 8:28 pm

Hey Brendan – these are super & I admire your courage to push and put yourself out there to make these portraits. All my best wishes for a Happy New Year!

• Aware of the Void / Jan 1 2014 2:26 am

Thank you Christian you have been a constant source of inspiration in 2013 and I enjoy your work very much. Looking forward to 2014 – thanks for your encouragement this year.

4. Marie / Jan 2 2014 2:28 pm