March 1, 2015 / Aware of the Void

Is the Fuji Instax the Answer?

Fuji Instax 210

Knowing the question might be helpful.

We are currently doing some renovation works at home and while builders were hired for for the big burly manly stuff like knocking down walls, laying blocks and generally doing builder stuff we have now reached the point in the process where I have to start doing some work myself. This is having an impact on the time I can spend on photography. I find that I am shooting rolls of film but can’t seem to squeeze in the time to develop and print. While looking for a screwdriver today I found my Fuji Instax 210 sitting on a shelf and I think until I can get back to a more normal routine I might use this camera as my primary bit of kit. The instant results cuts down on the time required in the darkroom. I had used it for an impromptu portraits session with some friends earlier in the year and was starting to get results I liked. I found suppressing the flash with a bit of paper was helping to give a more muted result.

So how can I continue to shoot on film without time to develop and print? Is my Instax the answer?

Fuji Instax 210Fuji Instax 210Fuji Instax 210
Fuji Instax 210 Fuji Instax 210 Fuji Instax 210Fuji Instax 210Fuji Instax 210

1. Moni / Mar 1 2015 5:24 pm

I think it’s a really great replacement while you are busy! I’ve been loving my Lomo instant myself – lots of creative potential and Instax film is so pretty. I follow someone on IG who does cool stuff with Instax http://instagram.com/annehollond

• Aware of the Void / Mar 1 2015 5:29 pm

Thanks for the link – I ordered more film for the Instax today so hopefully I won’t be slowed down too much 🙂

2. Michael O'Callaghan / Mar 1 2015 9:04 pm

Sounds like an eminently logical solution Brendan.

3. grumpytykepix / Mar 2 2015 7:22 am

What about digital? Much cheaper but depends on whether you already have the camera. I have had a similar problem for the past year though for a different reason (health) so decided to go to digital (but limiting myself to using legacy lenses on my 4/3 Olympus Pen, which kept a ‘classic’ element). However, I felt recovered enough today to go out with film but as the weather is ba I’ll think I’ll probably develop a film or two for the first time in a year or so. Undecided whether to go stand development or conventional – did you see my question re the former on an old post of yours?

• grumpytykepix / Mar 2 2015 7:27 am

PS. Sorry, for some reason I didn’t get the usual email notification of your comment but just went back to your stand development post and saw your answer. Many thanks – I’ll see what happens today if I decide to go ‘stand’. By the way, thanks too for the ‘like’ on my Contax AX post.

• Aware of the Void / Mar 2 2015 9:28 am

I have a very nice digital camera and my iphone is a constant companion so digital is an option and it might be an opportune time to get a use out of that gear also but to be honest i’m kind of consistently disappointed by my digital results, mostly because they are not film and I spend so much time in-front of a PC that i don’t really want to spend the time editing that would be required to get the same results i get just hitting the shutter on my film camera. Ultimately it would be the same results for the same effort I think.
      I’m glad you found the reply to your question on the other post – I was sure I had responded. I’m glad your health is improved and that you are considering doing some development again. I’m looking forward to your results.,

4. Wilhelm / Mar 2 2015 8:40 am

Seems the portraits are a bit soft, what’s the close focusing distance on your camera?

• Aware of the Void / Mar 2 2015 9:34 am

45cm to infinity with no control over the focal point – it’s pretty basic just point and shoot. You can select option to brighten or darken the shot and that’s about it.
      I’m one of the lucky ones that think sharpness is overrated 🙂

• Wilhelm / Mar 2 2015 12:09 pm

Then you are fortunate indeed! 🙂

I have considered getting an instax camera, but from what I have seen of others’ results I would be disappointed.

Now, I have shot with a magnifying glass for lens, but even those can give a reasonably sharp image, at least in the middle of the frame.

5. Phil Kneen Photography / Jul 10 2015 8:39 pm

‘Yes’ is the answer. I love these portraits!

• Aware of the Void / Jul 10 2015 8:41 pm

Yeah, I pretty much adore the Instax now, thanks for stopping by I’ve been following you around the Internet for years – love your work

• Phil Kneen Photography / Jul 10 2015 8:46 pm

Thank you! 🙂

I’m using the new 300, after using the 210 for a couple of years, and I have to say I actually prefer the 210.
        I heard a rumour, via the Fuji rep’I use, that Fuji will be releasing some new Instax emulsions soon – black & white and an ‘alternative’ colour version. I do hope so.

1. Get your Liths out for the Lads | Aware of the Void