Carrot Sweet – A Cure for Night Blindness?
I don’t normally cook desserts for reasons of self preservation but carrot sweet is very tasty and I assumed since the main ingredient is carrots that it could potentially be a health food packed with vitamin A. I have since learned that this may not be the case and I urge you never to attempt to make this and enjoy a few carrot sticks dipped in natural yogurt instead.
For those of you wanting to try and bring on type 2 diabetes or grow obese overnight I list the details for your information only.
We made this for a party and served it to about 20 people so my quantities look a bit crazy – you can scale it back for your own needs but to be honest it would be possible to eat a whole pan of this yourself.
- 4 x Kg of Carrots
- 3 x Litre of whole fat milk
- 1 x large handful of cardamon pods
- 500 x grams of sugar
- 500 x grams of butter/ghee
- 100 x grams of raisins
- 100 x grams of nuts (cashew and almond)
- Peel and grate the carrots
- Place the milk in a large pan and add the cardamon pods (I bruise the pods first to release more flavour) Basically the milk will simmer until it reduces by half – be careful not to boil it as the milk will burn.
- Add all the sugar to the milk (I know, I know, I know, I was horrified too by the amount of sugar)
- In a pan fry the raisins and nuts in a lot of butter and set aside for later
- When the milk has reduced remove the cardamon pods
- Fry the grated carrots in batches – again use way to much butter
- The carrots should go reddish maroon – add them and the butter juice into the reduced milk and stir
- Add in the nuts and raisins and allow the whole cauldron to simmer until the carrots are soft and start to absorb the milk
- Give it all one last mix and then let it sit. Any remaining liquid will be absorbed over the next few hours.
So there it is folks. I like to enjoy this dish near a hospital with a good cardiac surgery team on standby or if you live too far from a hospital I suggest that you invest in your own defibrillator.
This is easily one of my all time favourite desserts and I really wish I did not know how to make it!!
Let me know if you decide to make this or any other insane desserts.