February 18, 2016 / Aware of the Void

I Killed My Camera

So at about 3am this morning I managed to kill my trusty Nikon F100 film camera. I was climbing the 5500 steps to reach the summit of Adamspeak for sunrise and had managed to achieve a steady rhythm of progress. I had been taking snap shots of pilgrims on route so had my camera slung across my shoulder. I’ve been using the “black rapid” strap for years and always found it ideal for these situations.

My best guess is that as I climbed my camera hit the camera in the same spot repeatedly and it managed to work its way loose from the mount.

The F100 is a heavy camera and it bounced down the steps with a fair force. As it bounced down the steps it picked up speed and I was truly worried that it might hit someone and kill them.

It eventually came to a hault about 45 meters down the steps from where I was. A fellow traveler picked it up and with a very pained look on his face handed me my once beautiful camera.

The lens seems to be “ok” but the mirror is sticking on the camera. I could thinker with it but I have a couple of other options to see me to the end of the trip.

Godspeed little Nikon you have served me well and if you have to die somewhere Adamspeak is much nicer than accidentally being dropped in a toilet bowl.

1. Thessauron / Feb 18 2016 8:20 am

Condolences! 😦

2. Alexis / Feb 18 2016 8:31 am

Happened to me several times, a few with a lot of luck: camera unbroken, but the last one saw a broken flash trigger, a broken 70-200 F/2.8, and a broken pro range camera. From my experience these straps are not effectively safe when they have to endure a lot of mouvement from a heavy gear.

For gigs with lots of movements I rely now on a good old strap or I verify every 5min that the screws are not getting loose (I have a dual strap), being paranoïd about this does not help concentrating on the image making process …

• Aware of the Void / Feb 19 2016 12:48 am

Oh that sounds like a bad day at the office. I’m not really sure what the correct answer is. I liked the ergonomics of the black rapid but I will eventually run out of cameras

3. Denis O'Donovan / Feb 18 2016 10:51 am

Ouch!

4. Dave / Feb 18 2016 2:53 pm

Bummer!

5. Joe shoots resurrected cameras / Feb 18 2016 4:03 pm

Oh no, I’m so sorry! Hopefully you can get it working, or find a replacement…

6. Suvi / Feb 18 2016 6:38 pm

Oh how terrible!!! 😦

• Aware of the Void / Feb 19 2016 12:46 am

Ah in the scheme of terrible things that can happen this is very low down the list. I will miss this camera up until the point that I replace it. I have a couple of spare cameras with me for the trip so no big deal 😀

• Suvi / Feb 19 2016 4:12 am

Good attitude 🙂

7. Olen Daelhousen / Feb 18 2016 7:10 pm

Such a sad ending, but every camera deserves to go out like that while on an adventure instead of dying a slow death from neglect buried and forgotten in a closet. I also use Black Rapid straps (I picked one up on a trip to Portland a few years back after seeing another photographer with one) and will certainly pay more attention to how well my camera is attached.

• Aware of the Void / Feb 19 2016 12:45 am

Yeah it was a pretty spectacular end for this camera. Over on FB a few people have mentioned having similar issues. I think vigilance is the key

8. christian harkness / Feb 18 2016 9:16 pm

So very sorry to hear that! I killed my treasured G10 just a little while ago. The strap was also the reason. Got caught on my shoe, getting out of the car.

• Aware of the Void / Feb 19 2016 12:43 am

Oh no, there is a friend of mine that is a pro and refuses to have a strap on any of his cameras, I’m starting to see why.

9. Mörkrum / Feb 21 2016 9:07 pm

Sorry to hear! 😦

10. Wick Burner / Feb 24 2016 12:06 pm

Lucky it was only a Nikon…

😉

• Aware of the Void / Feb 24 2016 1:30 pm

I’m very fond of the F100 and it’s always sad to lose a camera. My Olympus if now full of sand also and I’m hoping at least some of the shots has been worth the sacrifice

• Wick Burner / Feb 24 2016 1:40 pm

Yes, it’s always tough when a device you love meets its end, especially a good quality film camera. I’ve been there… My comment wasn’t meant vindictively at all, by the way!
        Hope you managed to save the shots and that you get around to finding an adequate replacement.

1. The Last Roll Before Death | Aware of the Void